Skip to content

What Will I Have to do if I Sue a Drug Company?


If you sue a drug company, you are going to have to fill out some forms.

Right off the bat, we always ask our clients to fill out some forms so we can better understand what the case is about. We also ask questions that help us to determine whether you have a good case.

What else will I have to do if I sue a drug company? Start signing!

What will I have to do if I sue a drug company
What will I have to do if I sue a drug company

You will need to sign quite a few documents. I always ask my clients to first sign a contract. It says they agree to work with me to investigate the case. I also ask all of my clients to sign a HIPAA release so I can collect pharmacy and medical records. I want to know what kind and how much evidence I have, so I like to collect that as soon as possible. Also, many, many companies, like CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, and RiteAid will only provide records if the patient signed their specific HIPAA release. As a result, we usually need to ask people to sign a bunch of HIPAA releases: one general release, one for each pharmacy, and also perhaps one or two for different doctors.

Do I have to give them my social security number?

In a word, yes. Yes. Yes, you will have to give your lawyer your social security number if you decide to sue a drug company. Your lawyer will probably not be able to get your medical records without your social security number and the lawyer will not be able to transfer any money to you. In short, you cannot win your case without giving your lawyer your social security number. Even if you could, you cannot receive the money owed to you without providing your social security number.

The good news is that your lawyer owes you a duty of confidentiality, meaning that the lawyer cannot disclose your information.

Is the drug company going to punish me somehow?

No, I have never heard of a drug company punishing the plaintiff by refusing to let the plaintiff use their drugs in the future. Frankly, it is just too much work for them. Thousands of people (or more) sue pharmaceutical companies every year. It will be so difficult and so expensive for the sales side of the drug company to keep tabs on all the plaintiffs, the drug company will not think it is worth the effort. Additionally, drug companies almost never sell their drugs directly to consumers. Instead, they sell to a distributor, who sells to a pharmacy, who sells to a consumer.

What will I have to do if I sue a drug company
Help! I need to have my prescription drugs.

If I sue a drug company will I have to give a deposition?

Witness stand

Maybe. If you have to give a deposition, your lawyer will help prepare you. You can also get some helpful tips from previous articles on the Beck Law Center website, including: What to do in a Deposition and How to Deal with Lawyers in a Deposition.

Will my case go to trial?

Probably not. You won’t be required to go to trial if you do not want to go. You can always choose to dismiss your case. As the plaintiff, no one can force you to go to trial.

Kim Beck

Attorney Kimberly Beck

Cincinnati, Ohio

Attorney Kim Beck is the managing member of Beck Law Center, located in Cincinnati, Ohio.  She has 15 years of experience as an attorney, mostly on the defense.  She now represents plaintiffs in personal injury cases involving a variety of injuries caused by defecting drugs/ pharmaceuticals, medical malpractice, and other series accidents.  If you would like more information about her background and experience, please review her profile page.

Attorney Advertisement.  Beck Law Center provided this post as general information and should not be construed as creating an attorney/client relationship.  It may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction.  It is not intended as a substitute for legal advice.  Further, this correspondence is not protected by privilege.  No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Scroll To Top